23.7.14

Thai Inspired Salmon


In my 18 months in Thailand I never saw them eat salmon. 
So all the Thai salmon recipes you see are fusion dishes, do not get fooled.

Real Thai food contains a tremendous amounts of herbs. Herbs are ingredients. They are a fundamental part of what defines Thai cooking, not used only as garnish.

I was watching the video of my favourite cook in Chiang Mai and she was teaching me how to make a fish dish with herbs. No, she did not use salmon, 
but that is what I had at home, so hence this inspired recipe.
The recipe I give you now is for the fish you see in the photo, adapted and very yummy!!!  
Her original recipe I am saving for my book... 
You can wait a little, right?


You will need:

1 piece fish with skin on {any fish you like} 
juice of 1/2 big lime
2 tablespoons of nam pla {fish sauce}
1 small diced tomato
1 chopped spring onion
1 tablespoon of chopped mint
1 tablespoon of chopped thai basil {if you don't have it use any basil}
1 tablespoon chopped coriander stalks or thai coriander {pak chi farang, if you can find it}
1 teaspoon coriander leaves
1 small green or red chilli bashed with a knife and chopped 
1/4 teaspoon of sugar {demerara or palm sugar are best}

Grill, fry or BBQ your fish and make sure to crisp up the skin. This is important as it makes your dish have a myriad of textures.
Meanwhile, prepare and mix all the other ingredients in a bowl. Adjust the seasoning. It should be spicy, salty, tangy and have a round flavour to it.
Place the fish on a pretty plate and pour the seasoned herbs on top.
Serve it immediately.

Believe me, you will not regret making this!

You can also use this recipe for grilled seafood, meat, chicken or pork.

Let me know what did you think of this recipe and please share it with your friends! 

Thanks!!!

Sawadee Ka
_/\_









No comments:

Post a Comment