2.4.13

Asian Salad Dressing...


I was at the market the other day and remembered I had not had a proper salad for weeks. So, I bought some iceberg lettuce and tofu and went home to make something with it.

I remembered the salad I had recently at a restaurant here in Chiang Mai, Thailand and it inspired me, though I only used half of the ingredients they use, I wanna say thanks to Nee from Blue Diamond for creating it.

When I got home, I looked at my cupboard and found the few ingredients I have there. I took poetic license to make this salad dressing and it came out DELICIOUS!

So, here is my recipe as I made it, but if you do not have the same ingredients you can adapt, I am sure it will be just as good and you will make it again and again, like I have been making for the last week.
The other good thing about it, is that it takes very little oil and so it is great for any diet.

You will need:

1 cup any lettuce leaves or thinly sliced white cabbage
cha plu leaves {optional - found in asian grocery shop}
1/2 cup cubed firm tofu
2 tablespoons mint leaves
2 tablespoons chopped spring onions
1 teaspoon chopped coriander {optional}
1/2 cup of crushed cashew nuts {optional but this makes your salad perfect}

Dressing:

1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
2 tablespoons nam pla {fish sauce - veggies can use soy or tamari sauce}
2 tablespoons of cider vinegar
juice of 1/2 small lime

Other options to add to the dressing:
pinch of dried chillies, garlic, palm sugar, burnt coconut, shallots, peanuts...play with it after the first time and discover other variations as you go along!!!!

Make the dressing by mixing all ingredients in a jam jar and shaking it vigorously. Adjust the seasoning to your taste.
Lay the cha plu leaves leaves on a platter.
Put the other ingredients on a bowl and season with the dressing and place it on the platter.

You can make more dressing as it will keep for a couple of days in your fridge, if sealed properly.

HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!
Let me know how it goes!!!



2 comments:

  1. Oi Claudia, já sinto saudades dos sabores asiáticos, ja que voltei da Coréia ha pouco tempo depois de passar quase 6 anos ppor lá. Adorei a saladinha. Obrigada pela sugestão do "guest post". Estou com alguns compromissos relacionados ao blog aqui na fila, mas podemos amadurecer esta idéia. Depois me manda um e-mail com suas sugestões.
    bjsss

    ReplyDelete
  2. Estou também bem ocupada no momento, era só uma ideia para a gente amadurecer mesmo. estou tambem no meio do término do meu livro e aí fica difícil!!! me manda um oi em meu email e a gente vai pensando em algo bem bacana?
    cloudsinthekitchen@gmail.com
    imagino a saudades que vc está...me dói a alma me imaginar longe daqui...ui... rs Beijoca

    ReplyDelete